Tuesday, June 30, 2009

My Quest to Gain Weight

I know. In a world of obese people, everyone wants to know "who is this girl trying to gain weight?"

If you must know, I've been underweight for quite some time. I'm 5'6 and 110 lbs with a BMI of about 17.8. I'm only about 5-10 lbs underweight, and its no fault of mine. I eat, and I eat, and I eat. The problem is that I eat mostly fruit and veggies. Its not that I don't like meat. I do, in fact, enjoy a juicy steak. But when it comes down to it, I'd much rather have a big ol' bowl of watermelon for dessert or a big leafy salad for dinner. Mr. Wookie and I have discussed this in great detail. I like to eat cold, wet things.

So far, being skinny hasn't been horrible. I get a few nasty comments from people, but I take it in stride. This is who I am. I have had a few female problems (ie irregular periods), and I've been warned by my doctor that this may make it more difficult for me to plan a family. I do want to have children sometime in the future.

My plan then is to try and gain 5-10 lbs (or get to a normal BMI). To reach my goal, I've added a cup of milk to my normal eating habits. I figure I need the added calcium and protein anyway. I generally eat three meals a day with a snack or two thrown into the mix. For example, today I ate:
1. 2 waffles and a glass of orange juice
2. Chicken nuggets and waffle fries from Chick Fila
3. Spaghetti with meat sauce, garlic bread, and raspberries
4. Cup of milk and five chocolate chip cookies
5. An orange Popsicle
6. A mozzarella string cheese

(Ok, today isn't the best example of food eatage for me. I don't normally eat fast food...and I normally eat a lot more fruit/veggies).
So when I went to the Dr. last week I weighed 110. I'm going to try this milk thing for a week or two (or until I get to a scale) and see how it works out. Maybe this will be all I need to do to gain the extra weight.

No comments:

Post a Comment