Monday, June 29, 2009

The Emperor's New Clothes!

Er...the teacher's new clothes! Huzzah!

I started my quest to update my wardrobe. A few weeks ago I had a joint yard sale with my in laws, and I threw out a bunch of my old clothing. Since then, I've been dying to buy some new, professional clothing.

I'm a small girl. I'm 5'6 and 110 lbs, and I look like I'm forever 14. I love the clothes from American Eagle, but I can't exactly teach in their mini skirts and printed t-shirts. So I decided it was time to graduate from my college attire.

To begin the transformation from college girl to working gal, I've been summoning the help of the two and only Stacey and Clinton from What Not to Wear. I've realized: I've got it going on. Clothes were made for my body type.

When I've gone shopping in the past, I've gotten discouraged because nothing fits me. I have no hips, so women's clothing tends to fall off of me. If I do find a pair of trousers that fit me in the hip area, they are always five inches too long. I always end up in the Juniors section of the department store buying clothes that certainly fit, but that certainly look cheap and childish.

Well no more! This shopper is done shopping the Juniors department! I learned from What Not to Wear that I should buy the pants that fit in the hip but are a bit too long. And then I should employ a tailor.

Better yet, I will buy every pencil skirt ever made because I look professional and sexy in a pencil skirt. I can wear a pencil skirt to school and then take my husband out on a date (and only need to change my hair and lipstick!).

Unfortunately, I don't get a paycheck until September. My shopping has been a little sporadic. I may eventually get to invest $5000 in my wardrobe (haha. yeah right), but until then, I will spend $100 at a time buying pieces that I know will be classic (and tasteful).

For my first round of wardrobe shopping, I hit up the Gap Outlet. Normally I am not a big fan of Gap. Their clothing is a bit... how should I say this?... bland for my taste. But I have to give Gap a little credit: their summer cardigan sets are beautiful! The colors are very bold. Needless to say, I bought a beautiful teal-esque cardigan and matching camisole. I also bought a pair of brown flats.

Now, I know that Stacey and Clinton probably wouldn't approve of a flat for work, but as a teacher I can't do heels for a variety of reasons.
1. I need to be able to chase children sometimes.
2. I've always heard that you should be able to sneak up on misbehaving children. You simply can't do that in heels.

My second round of wardrobe shopping also took me to The Gap. This time, I was at The Gap in my hometown mall. I bought another cardigan (a deep purple this time), a white camisole, a pair of grey dress pants (which I will need to get hemmed), a grey pencil skirt, and a black pair of flats.

I'm planning on shopping again this weekend. I may visit The Limited and /or Express. Who knows? The sky is the limits!

No comments:

Post a Comment