Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Book # 15: The Unvanquished

Review: Spoiler Alert!
I finished reading The Unvanquished by William Faulkner this afternoon. After reading The Sound and the Fury a few years ago, I can say I appreciated this text because of its straight forward plot. I like experimentation, but I'll be the first to tell you that TS&TF didn't make sense to me. I understood that the family was wicked dysfunctional, but it wasn't until after my professor discussed the book in class that I understood a lot of the plot.

My favorite character in The Unvanquished was Drusilla. As a contemporary reader, coming a cross a strong female heroine in a novel before 1950's is refreshing. I like a woman who can shoot, ride, and stand on her own two feet. (Its funny because I can only stand on my own two feet. Maybe I should have added "learn to ride a horse" and "learn to shoot a gun" to my list. . . maybe next time.)

Well that is 15 down and 45 to go! For the Spring Book Challenge, I'm going to read a book the wookie picked out for me for ten points. He chose a fantasyesque book, The Black Cauldron. The good news is that the book is a young adult book, so I should be able to read it quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment