Wednesday, May 9, 2012

The Kid's Got It

As I continue my struggle to write and be satisfied with my career life, I happened to stumble upon a student's paper today. I'm terribly behind on my grading, and I'm finally getting to grade a packet of original poetry my students wrote a week ago. Overall, I was extremely pleased with their work, but one boy in particular caught my attention. He wrote about how he isn't totally pleased with where he is, but he feels like he is heading in the right direction. I was especially moved by his insightful line:

"I pray for the future, give thanks for my past."

Yes. This sums up so much of what I need to be doing. Things aren't horrible. I've got a job, a place to rest my feet, a little change in my pocket, and supper on the table. I'm not where I want to be, but I'm still running the race towards my destination. I can wallow and feel sad, or I can have hope for the future.

For now, I choose hope. Thanks kid. Today you were the teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment