Thursday, March 24, 2011

Gifts #1-5

1. First and foremost, I am thankful for the love of Jesus Christ. I think of the song "How He Loves Us" that starts with "He is jealous for me" and later says "if grace is an ocean we're all sinking / and heaven meets Earth like a sloppy wet kiss / and my heart turns violently inside of my chest /and I don't have time to maintain these regrets when I think about the way he loves us." The truth of the matter is that most days I forget how completely God loves me (and you). He wants more than mediocre for my life. He wants my life to be full of JOY. That involves giving up some vices, but we are promised an abundant life throught the love of Christ.

2. I am thankful for an article I read today in an old Self magazine. The article was talking about updating your list of requirements for a mate. The writer's first husband had died, and when she finally started dating again, she had a very different list of qualities she wanted. The part that really spoke to me was the section about wanting to have a good time. She wanted to find someone who said "YES!" to adventure. When I read the paragraph at the gym, it was like a light bulb went off. I, too, want to have wild makeout sessions in the car, travel to beaches across the globe, climb a mountain, camp at Floyd Fest, dance in the rain, ride a bike with someone tandem style, take a cooking class and burn everything and laugh about it. Sometimes other people can take a truth you carry in your heart and phrase it in such a way that it touches you to the very marrow. I am thankful for this experience (and their gift).

3. I am grateful for my Galaxy Girls. I never thought I'd have best friends in my adult life. I assumed that I would get married and hide away in a hole with my husband. And, quite frankly, I didn't believe I'd ever find friends as awesome as the Fab Five in college. But here I am, included in a new group of Fab Five (isn't it interesting that I seem to always find friends in groups of four?) During the past three months, they have been so wonderful and supportive. From letting me crash on a couch to being there when I need a distraction, they have truly been a blessing to me.

4. I am thankful for Margot who is looking up at me with her cute face begging me to play fetch right now. She snuggles with me every night. She's a halfway decent dog. :)

5. I am thankful for work. Idle brains are dangerous. I relish being busy. I also like to eat and pay my bills. I am so thankful to have employment when a great majority of the country is still unemployed.

There they are. #1-5. God bless, and goodnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment