Monday, December 20, 2010

It is finished!

I really wanted to call into Dave Ramsey's show and scream it, but I'm a little shy. I decided instead to share with you how the conversation would go:

Me: Hey Dave! How are you?
Dave: Better than I deserve! What's up?
Me: I'm calling because I'm debt free!
Dave: Awesome! How much did you pay off?
Me: $50,000 to Sallie Mae in 12 months.
Dave: WOW! Kicked the old lady to the curb! And what was your income during that time?
Me: It's hard to say really because it was my first year working, but I think we grossed a little over $75,000 this year.
Dave: Wait a second, that's not mathematically possible! Did you sell stuff?
Me: No, we had some money in savings when we started the process, and then we also stupidly bought a house, but we got the tax credit. We used it to pay down the debt.
Dave: Oh, alright. Well cool. What was the hardest part of this process?
Me: Probably giving up the dinners out. My husband and I really love to eat out, and we didn't get to do that much while we were paying off the loan. I got really good at meal planning. Our spaghetti didn't have meat for a long time.
Dave: I hear ya. What's the key to this?
Me: Sticking to the budget, Dave. and ignore the nay sayers. There are a lot of people who can't celebrate the fact that you're doing something good in your life. You've just gotta keep your head up and keep working hard.
Dave: Snoopy dance, I hear ya. Well congratulations and count it down.
Me:Three, two, one I'M DEBT FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Listen, thanks for sticking around to see the end of my debt free journey. I promise 2011 will hold some exciting blog posts. I'll be M.I.A. until after Christmas, but I pray your holidays are merry and bright. God bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment