Wednesday, June 9, 2010

365 Days of Bliss

On Sunday, my husband and I will celebrate our one year anniversary. I cannot believe how quickly this first year went! To celebrate, we are going to our favorite Japanese restaurant one night this weekend, and then I'm also making the special dinner I mentioned below.
As I drove home, I reflected on our first year together and tried to compile a list of qualities I learned about Mr. Wookie in the past 12 months. You see, the hubs and I dated six years before getting married, so I felt like I knew everything about him when we tied the knot. Even though I knew a lot about him, I have certainly learned even more about him this year. For example:
1. He is ridiculously modest. He locks the doors when he uses the bathroom, he is only naked when he showers, and he NEVER sits around in just his boxers. He has to wear a shirt.

2. He doesn't sleep a lot. He needs six hours to my nine. He is always awake before me except on the weekend when he stays up later than me and subsequently sleeps until two in the afternoon.

3. Apparently he thought all dish duty ceased when we got married because he used to do the dishes religiously after dinner. Now, he leaves them sitting for a night or two before getting around to them (which drives this Type A INSANE).

4. He eats nothing but carbs. Since we've been married, I've seen him eat maybe two pieces of fruit. I'm not talking a whole orange either...I'm talking an orange sliver.

But for all these odd little anecdotes, there is one thing I've noticed that has been wonderfully rewarding:
he is 100% supportive of whatever I want to do.
I always knew he was moderately supportive, but he has proved himself to the infinite degree (like following me blindly into this debt free thing). I don't know too many people who would willingly adapt to my constantly changing choices.

This year I learned that we don't have to pretend to like the same things. Since we have opposite schedules, we've actually done a lot apart this year, and I think being apart was good for our marriage. When we both have available time, there is no question that we will spend it together, but when one of us doesn't have time, the schedule allows the other to follow personal interests. I wouldn't have it any other way. I have no desire to play five hours of video juegos no matter how pretty the graphics.

Overall, it's been a good year. I'm looking forward to celebrating this weekend, and I'm looking forward to many more celebrations in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment