Sunday, March 7, 2010

The only thing worse than smug singles are lots of smug singles

Ok, I know when Bridget Jones said the line she actually said "smug married couples," but lately I've been experiencing a surplus of smug singles. In the past week, two people on FB have made comments about how boring some of their married friends have become. Most likely, these people were not talking about me. They were probably talking about some married people who had decided to cancel plans. But my life has slowed down considerably in the past six months due to my employment and my massive debt. There isn't room in my life for bikini bar hoppin'. Even though the comments were likely not directed at me, I couldn't help but take them personally.

Which brings me to today's topic: why do people feel the need to make negative comments about other people's lives? It's bad enough that some people feel the need to keep up with the Jones', but it's even worse when the Jones' snub their collective nose at your choice to be frugal/stay home/not party during the week.

I mean, it's not like you have to live my life. If you don't like the way I'm living, rejoice in your own life. My decisions should not affect you (unless of course I'm doing something illegal, which I'm not). If you don't like the fact that my posts are seemingly mundane, don't read them. (I helped one girl. I deleted her. If you're not going to be supportive of my major life change (ie living debt free) then I don't have room for you in my life. I'm surrounding myself with positive people.)

Yes, acquaintances, I am not taking a vacation this year. I'm not buying new clothes. I'm not dining out excessively. I'm living within my means. I'd love for you to come over and play cards with me, watch a free movie from the library, or have a cup of coffee, but I'm not forcing you to adapt to my changes. I just need you to understand that I may not be there at your wedding because I can't afford the trip. (I will send you a gift.) I can't go with you on your trip to Rome because I can't pay cash for it at this time. I'm washing my hair with Suave because it's $1.97 at Wal-mart.

I promise that I will get back to traveling and shopping as soon as my debt is paid off. I will likely take a trip to Hawaii to celebrate. I will probably buy a flat screen. But I'm not going to go crazy. I want to try to conceive in five years, so I'm trying to save money for that as well.

I hope there is room for you in my life. I enjoy reading/hearing about your shenanigans. They keep me motivated because I know one day soon I too can have (paid for) adventures!

Until then, I'm going to write my checks and bide my time.

No comments:

Post a Comment