Sunday, February 28, 2010

Last day of our February Month Eat-In

We did it! We went a whole month without eating out. Sure, maybe we cheated by picking the shortest month of the year, but I still feel like I accomplished something. I mean, we had to give up our typical Valentine's Day meal at our favorite Japanese restaurant which is a sacrifice in itself.

Our last meal of the month? Salisbury steak, mashed potatoes, and corn.

I've also started clipping coupons. I've never done this before because I don't get a Sunday paper, but I've started using coupons.com. I also found a coupon on my Banquet Salisbury Steak box. Yippee. I wonder how much money I can save using coupons. I've been buying Wal-mart brand everything (except for bread because their bread isn't very good), and I'm curious to see if I can save more money buying brand names with coupons or if Wal-Mart brand is the cheapest way to go.

This week I spent $51 at the store. I saved $3.00 with my coupons (I was able to get $2.50 off my makeup purchase and $.55 off my Toaster Strudel purchase). In the past, I've been around $60. I think cooking this whole month has made me more aware of produce waste. I don't buy as much produce as I used to. I planned out all my meals this month, and I only bought what I needed for those meals. In the past, I would buy extra veggies just to have options, but I've found more things go to waste that way.

Tomorrow the husband and I are going to grab some lunch out to celebrate. I have a coupon for 10% off a pizza at one of our favorite local pizza places. Huzzah huzzah.

No comments:

Post a Comment