Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Family Recipe/Online Recipe Update: Scalloped Potatoes

Yessir, cheese and potatoes are two of my favorite things. They are also two of my husband's favorite things, so the other night I decided I was going to mix the two and create a cheesy potato masterpiece! So I searched the interwebs for scalloped potato recipes, and to be honest a lot of them sounded way more complicated than they needed to be. So I took the best of the online recipes and combined that with my sister's baked mac n' cheese recipe to create my scalloped potatoes because after all the difference between a noodle and a potato is slim. Still carby, still yummy.
Here's what I did:
  • I peeled 4-6 medium sized russet potatoes. Then I cut those potatoes into 1/4 inch slices. I layered a glass baking dish with the potatoes.
  • On the stove top, I brought about a cup of milk, tablespoon of butter, and salt and pepper to just below a simmer. All you really want to do with this step is melt the butter into the milk.
  • Next, pour the milky goodness over the potatoes.
  • Now, the online recipe called for 1/4 cup of cheese, but a 1/4 cup of cheese looked pitiful to me. So I added some more cheese. I couldn't tell you how much cheese I added, except to say that all the potatoes were covered.
  • Finally, I put my dish into the oven for about 20-30 minutes on 350, or until the cheese had melted and most of the milk had disappeared.

The outcome? Deliciousness for my mouth and praise from my husband! The hardest part of the recipe was peeling the potatoes. After that, it was smooth sailing!

No comments:

Post a Comment