Friday, June 5, 2009

Book # 28 Saving Grace


I have a new favorite author. Her name is Lee Smith, and she is everything I want to be in a writer: She is southern. She has a good sense of humor. She tells a darn good story.

Many years ago, when I was still in high school, my Spanish teacher suggested that I read Fair and Tender Ladies by Lee Smith. I had a great deal of respect for my Spanish teacher, so I quickly added Smith to my TBR pile. Unfortunately, I got caught up in school and life and had little time for pleasure reading.

After joining the SBC, I went off to the library to find a book which would fill the category "read a book with a name in the title." I happened to glance over the Smith titles and found Saving Grace, a story about the daughter of a minister who handles snakes. I was instantly sucked into this tale. I've read other reviews on GR about this book, and most people say that while they enjoyed this book, it isn't their favorite Smith novel.

To this I say, "Wow! They get better?!"

I will definitely continue reading Smith in the future...as soon as the SBC is over. If you haven't read any books by her, I recommend you do. She's quite fantastic.

No comments:

Post a Comment