Monday, May 11, 2009

Book # 20: The Black Cauldron

For SBC, one of the categories was to read a book your significant other picked for you. Mr. Wookie is a huge fantasy/sci-fi fan (hence his nickname, Mr. Wookie). He picked the second book from The Chronicles of Prydain: The Black Cauldron.

I'm not a huge sci-fi/fantasy fan (although I do love some Star Wars, but mostly just the new ones. I know, I know. Flame away.) I was glad he picked this book for me because a. it is a young adult book which means it was a quick read and b. it is outside of my normal genre range. The whole point of 101 things is to do activities you don't normally do or that you'd like to do more of. To me, my overarching goal with all of these mini-book-related-goals is to read like crazy.

I've spent the past four years reading text books and required reading. I want to read what I want to read now. Light, fluffy reading but also thought provoking, deep reading. And why not read a little fantasy, eh?

So here it is, my review of the book: Reading the novel as an adult, I found the plot to be a little predictable; however, I loved, loved, loved the magic of the brooch. I wanted there to be more magical things!

I must admit, I don't like when there are more than five main characters in a book. I feel like I have to make a darn character map to keep them all separate, so I was frustrated with the first chapter when you're introduced to something like ten characters.

The book won the Newbery, and I can see why. I think young adults would probably really enjoy this book. I enjoyed it as an adult for the most part. And the book has inspired me to read *gasp* Twilight. I'll let you know how that one turns out.

So yeah, that's book 20. I'm a third of the way there!

No comments:

Post a Comment