Saturday, May 28, 2011

Oh, Hi Networth. You're Cute.

Getting divorced is expensive. I highly don't recommend it. It took a few months for me to get back on my feet, what with the fee to turn on my electricity, buying a bed, putting a deposit down on an apartment. Gah! I felt like I was bleeding money.

Slowly but surely I've been socking a little money away each month, and I've finally got a small sum in my checking account as an emergency fund. It's not 6-12 months worth, but it would get me through a few months if necessary. And this week I did the one thing I desperately wanted to do before my 25th birthday: I started my Roth IRA. I chose to invest in a target fund through Vanguard. I've watched the target funds for about a year now and finally decided to give it a go. Since learning about investing, I've decided to take this lesson to heart: time in the market is better than timing the market.

So now I am $1000 closer to retiring when I'm 55. I'm closer to having that river/lake/beach front property to enjoy, to traveling through Europe DEBT FREE!

Financial goals for the remainder of the year? Pay my brother back the cash fundage he let me borrow when the Big D went down. My other goal is to have my Networth hovering around $9,000 by Jan. 1.

No comments:

Post a Comment