Monday, September 27, 2010

Book #21 Dear John

I am not usually a Nicholas Sparks reader, but I had kinda wanted to see the movie Dear John. I try not to see movies before I read the books, so of course I set out over the weekend to read it. I like that Nicholas Sparks' are easy reads, and I generally can finish them in two days or less which was the case with this book as well.

I must say, however, that I wasn't a big fan of this story. It wasn't that the plot wasn't interesting. I enjoyed the overall story line, but I felt like Sparks broke the cardinal creative writing rule: show, don't tell. He TOLD this entire book. I think part of the "telling" stems from the fact that we don't really know what happened over in Iraq. The imagination can only go so far.

I have another Sparks' novel that someone gave me, and I'm thinking about reading it, but I might wait a few weeks. His books are so depressing.

29 books to go! I don't know if I'll be able to meet my goal this year, but I'll keep chuggin' on!

No comments:

Post a Comment