Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Money Thoughts and Debt Update

For those of you that weren't aware, I gave up two beautiful weeks of summer vacation to spend time with a group of rising 9th grade kids via summer school. Was it insane? Yes. I have never needed a day off so bad in my life. My nerves were about shot by the end of summer school; however, the paycheck I received was BANK. I sent over $3600 to the spawn of satan (aka Sallie Mae), and I'm currently owing only $17,333! I can't believe how close I am to paying off this wretched woman.

I did some calculations, and if I send all of my paycheck plus $398 each month, I will be DEBT FREE by the end of December. Unfortunately, I'm having a hard time holding on to cash flow. I thought I was doing so well with my envelope budget that I went back to paying for things with my debit card. Big mistake. I blew my fun budget by hundreds of dollars last month. Ridiculous.

Instead of letting the extra money sit in my checking account until the end of the month, I have started moving superfluous dollars to my savings account. For whatever reason, my savings account is a sacred place. It's like I've forgotten I have that money. For all intensive purposes, the money doesn't exist until I'm in an emergency or it is time to pay off debt. From my husband's paycheck, I was able to set aside $250, and I'm thinking next week I'll be able to set aside another $200 or more. I've also gone back to the envelope cash system and I think I'm finally back on track.

Ok, that's all for today. I didn't mean to write this much! I only wanted to give you an update.

No comments:

Post a Comment