Monday, July 12, 2010

Meal Planning for the Week

Last week my meal planning was thrown off a little due to a visit from my brother and his family. We cooked out with family one day and then the next day my sister ordered pizza for dinner. This gave us a surplus of food because I never made it through the end of my roasted chicken as I had anticipated. Here is what is on the menu for this week:

Monday (today): We ate hot dogs, french fries, and the giant zucchini I showed you from the farmer's market
Tuesday: Potato soup. Yes, I know it is 90 degrees outside, but I have been craving potato soup
Wed: Left over potato soup and grilled cheese
Thurs: Chicken quesadillas and spicy brown rice (onion, red pepper mmm mmm)
Fri: Spaghetti with tomato sauce
Sat: Chicken Stir fry (zucchini, squash, chicken, red pepper, onion, and rice. Pretty basic.)

I have exactly $66 left in the food envelope to get me through the remainder of the month (or eleven days). Eating on such a small budget will require some creativity, but I think I can do it. Here are some of my ideas for budget friendly meals:
  • Omelets (or eggs ranchero depending on my ability to get the omelet to stay together! ha!) (1 day)
  • Pasta primavera (2 days)
  • Baja Pie (I love it so much. I'm sure I'll be ready to eat it again in five days.) (2 days)
  • Chicken Tortilla Soup (2 days)
  • Chicken Stir Fry (2 days)

That should get me to the end of the month. Now, I know you're adding up my numbers and thinking "crazy, that does not add up to 11 days." You are so right, but I am going to my brother's house this weekend, so we will be eating out a couple of days. (When we eat out, the money comes from our blow envelope and not our grocery envelope.)

You are more than welcome to eat with me this week! (Maybe not in my kitchen, but you could buy all the ingredients and cook too. Just use any old omelet recipe, make Pioneer Woman's Pasta Primavera, make Betty Crocker's Baja Pie, B C's Chicken Tortilla Soup, and throw together chicken with rice and whatever veggies you have on hand.) But even if you don't make the same meals as I do, I wish you happy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment