Monday, February 1, 2010

Eat in for a whole month

One of my 101 goals is to eat in for a whole month. This goal serves a few purposes. First, it helps me stay on a budget. Since I'm in debt payoff mode, I can save quite a bit of money by skipping the take out and the steak house. In the past, we've spent about $100 a month eating out. Instead of spending that money on food, I can send an extra $100 to SM. Second, I want to hone my cooking skills. What better way to do this than to cook! Third, I want to try new recipes. If I'm forced to eat in all month, I might as well get a cookbook from the library and try some new things.

So I've decided that I'm going to eat in the whole month of February. I chose February because it's a short month (I know, cheating), but I'm one of those people that has to get out every once and awhile. If I don't, I go crazy. So I'm hoping I can start out with a short month and then maybe I'll be able to sustain the project a little longer.

Last night the hubs and I had a Mardi Gras of sorts. We bought Papa John's pizza and watched t.v. No more Papa Johns or anything else until March 1 which is just a short 28 days away.

Menu for this week:
Potato Soup (typically this makes a lot of soup, so I can probably eat on this for two to three days)
Shrimp Quesadillas (a la Pioneer Woman)
Hamburgers
and Either meat sauce and spaghetti or parmesan chicken and spaghetti.

The potato soup is very easy to make. I actually got the recipe from http://eatathomecooks.com/2008/10/scramble-egg-wiches.html this blog. (Just search Baked Potato Soup)

I'll keep you updated on how it goes. I probably won't have a problem with eating in for a whole month. Poor husband will suffer though because he loves his fast food.

No comments:

Post a Comment